Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch


Book:  The Hangman's Daughter 


Author:  Oliver Potzsch


Grade:  D/two stars. 


Recommended To:  dead people. 


I had high hopes for this book club choice.  I read some sketchy reviews before hand, which warned me a little bit about the dialogue and the translation, but I wasn't aware that the dialogue was going to be quite as bad as it was.

The dialogue was like trying to run through waist deep water against a current.  I rolled my eyes multiple times whilst reading this book.  Either the author or the translator doesn't have a grasp on how people actually speak.  If a character is only speaking to the burghomaster, then it is unnecessary to write: No, I wasn't digging in that grave and what's it to you anyway, berghomaster?  Slog Slog Slog.

This book also had an unusual number of exclamation points.  Probably about 5 per page.  These are kindle pages, mind you, any my font was huge.  That's a lotta damn exclamation points!!!!!!!   The author used exclamation points instead of dialogue and narration to try to add emphasis.  The words may as well have been bolded, underlined and italicized for emphasis instead.  It was irritating.

I don't recommend this book.  The story wasn't compelling enough to make up for the dialogue issues and the punctuation problems.  In truth, I haven't even finished this book yet, but it has been so hard to get through, I just had to write this review to get out some of my frustration.

Happy Reading!!


1 comment:

  1. I flipped through it at Target and thought the same thing just from looking at it. I put it back. ha ha!

    ReplyDelete