Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Story of My Life by Clarence Darrow


Book:  The Story of My Life 

Author:  Clarence Darrow 

Grade:  B

Recommended To:  Monkeys

This book is about what you would expect.  A story about this dude's life who was relevant a long time ago and who no one really knows about now.   My aunt got this book for me as a must-read classic. 

But, this book was also extremely funny.  This guy wrote an I-Don't-Give-A-Shit book.  And I loved it.   He's balls to the wall about laying his "truth" out there.  He rants about how the educational system is completely flawed, including how learning latin, greek and even mathematics is completely useless. 

The absolute funniest chapters are about the Scopes Money Trial.   Darrow mocks the religious fundamentalists ruthlessly.  I recommend just reading the Scopes chapters.  There are about three at page 250 in the book and I was laughing out loud on the train.

I'm not sure if Darrow intended to be funny, it is likely that when he sat down to write his life story, that he had no concept of a 20 something attorney giggling on the metra, but even if that wasn't his goal, he achieved it.  His writing was so straightforward and honest that you couldn't help but chuckle.  His story is also very egotistical.  Darrow knows that he's the best and has no qualms about it. 

His writing was often choppy, unedited, and difficult to follow.  But, this is why I recommend reading just the few funniest chapters.  

I'd check it out if I were you. 

Happy Reading!!


No comments:

Post a Comment