Friday, February 17, 2012

Redfield Farm by Judith Redline Coopey



Book:  Redfield Farm 


Author:  Judith Redline Coopey


Grade:  A


Recommended To:  Railroad Conductors, Quakers, Everyone. 


Lemme just tell ya, I love finding new authors.  Especially authors that have talent.  In my experience, it is rare for a new author to create something genuinely magnificent with their first book.  Some authors never make it, but Coopey has created a meaningful and masterful novel on her first go.

This is a book about the Redfield family surviving in Pennsylvania in the 1860's.  They are Quakers who's farm serves as a station stop on the Underground Railroad.  They also experience a number of personal and family triumphs and obstacles throughout the novel.

The one thing that was so stunning about this book was the author's ability to create suspense.  Each time a family member moved a runaway slave to the next station stop, I held my breath and read faster.   That is a very very difficult thing to accomplish; Cooper has talent.   I was so engrossed in this book that I finished it in two days and then thought about it for the next two.

If I had any criticism for this book, it would be that the relationship between Pru Hartley and Ann, the main character was strained.  I wasn't sure why Pru's character was present for much of the novel and it didn't seem like the character added much to the story, or that Ann's interactions with Pru effected Ann's own character growth.

According to Cooper's website, she has a new book coming out in May 2012.  I will certainly be purchasing the e-copy of Waterproof A Novel of The Johnstown Flood when it is available in early May.

I would love to hear what you think of Redfield Farm!  


Happy Reading!!


No comments:

Post a Comment