Tuesday, November 1, 2011

World War Z by Max Brooks

Book:  World War Z

Author:  Max Brooks

Grade:  A +++

Recommended To:  That Guy on Fox who thinks it is the end of the world.  Glen Beck? 

I haven't been this excited about a book in a long time.  I was initially extremely doubtful about World War Z.  Many of my friends had read it and raved about it, and I brushed it all off as Zombie hysteria.   I was wrong.  It isn't the first time I've misjudged a book, but I'm not sure that I've committed such a serious error in judgment to date.

World War Z is the best book I've read this year.  It is original, interesting, extremely captivating, and terrifying.  All at the same time.  The book is a collection of stories about humans who have survived the Zombie infestation.  These people range from regular families to the vice president of the United States.  The narrator is a youngish male who travels the world recording the oral histories of people who survived the world war against the zombies.

This book is more about the human experience than it is about Zombies.   There is a Great Panic that sweeps the world when the Zombie infestation becomes widespread.  It is easy to imagine the panic and fear that would come with any type of plague or biological disease.  It is also easy to imagine the secrecy of world governments, the huge rumors and profiteering that would result, and the ability of the human race to overcome. 

The sheer scope of the book was excellent.  The amount of research that Brooks put into this novel was astounding.  He easily moved from the average American family to a Japanese teenager who did nothing but surf the internet.   He also captured the military, political, and and social ramifications of the infestation.

I can't say enough good things about this book.  It was extremely well written - the style was concise, accurate to the various voices, and was not over played.  Either Brooks has an extremely talented editor, or he is a very very good writer.  Either way, this book is worth every single word.    It has been months since I read a book that I tried to read slower because I wanted to savor every word.

Check this book out.

Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment