Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Star Island by Carl Hiaasen


Book:  Star Island 

Author:  Carl Hiaasen

Grade:  B

Recommended To:  Hiaasen fans will LOVE this book! 

There are some things that just get better with age and Carl Hiaasen is one of them.   His stories and characters have aged like a great wine and it shows in his continued ability to build stories and characters with such comedic depth that you have to read his books with a box of tissues to wipe away the tears of joy.

I've loved nearly ALL of Hiaasen's novels and Star Island is no exception.  He brings back the infamous former governor Skink, and the weed-whacker embellished Chemo who add fabulous hilarity and connection to his earlier novels.

The novel follows the drugged out and hard partier, Cherry Pye, the pop star who seems intent on ruining her virtually non-existent career.  Hiaasen features a fat poparazzo, Cherry's delusional parents, and Cherry's body double, Ann.  This is a cast of characters that is sure to tantalize the most die-hard Hiaasen fans and I definitely recommend this book to anyone in need of a serious laugh.

I've discovered that reading funny books on the train is tough.  I want to laugh out loud so badly!  But, I definitely fear the looks that other passengers will give me when they hear my laughing over a book.  I read the majority of this book on the train to and from work and found myself biting my lip to keep from causing an uproar.

I gave this book a B because it seemed like the story didn't have as much depth as some of Hiaasen's other novels.  I mean have you read Skin Tight yet?  That book is pure gold.  This book wasn't quite there and needed a little more character development to become one of Hiaasen's top novels.

Despite the B status, you should totally read this book!

Happy Reading!!

1 comment:

  1. Jill,

    Is Hiaasen's writing only for female readers, or would an average male like myself appreciate the book?

    ReplyDelete